Chapter 2 Modern Developmental Theory
1. Define worldview and explain how it influences the development of theories.
2. Contrast and identify structure & function; structural knowledge & functional knowledge.
3. Contrast and identify description vs. explanation. Give the goals of each.
4. Contrast "real explanations" with "circular explanations". Explain what is wrong with "why" and "because" and Ross's alternative to these.
5. Describe the nature-nurture controversy. Explain why it is a false dichotomy. Explain the alternative to "How much."
6. List, identify, and explain each of the criteria for judging developmental theories.
7. Explain what a transaction is. Describe Ross's four sources of influence on development.
8. Define equifinality. Explain why it does not always mean "final".
9. Contrast the three models (linear, interactional, transactional.)
10. List, describe, and identify the continua relevant to each of Horowtiz's dimensions (organismic, environmental, developmental outcome.)
11. Describe and give examples of the three types of behavior.
12. Describe, identify, and give examples of the four levels of systems. Explain how they relate to each other.
This HTML document was created by GT_HTML 6.0d 03/26/96 11:15 AM.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.